Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- 1 pound dried small red beans,
rinsed and sorted
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 7 oz. smoked boneless pork chops, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 12 ounces andouille sausage (I use chicken sausage), cut in half lengthwise and sliced into ½” thick slices
- 1 tsp. kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 4 c. cooked rice
1. Place all ingredients except cooked rice in slow cooker. Add about 7 cups of water, enough to cover contents with about an inch of water. Stir, cover, and cook on high 8 hours or low 10 hours.
2. About an hour before serving, use a potato masher to mash at least half of the beans, stir, and cook on high an hour longer. (This step is what gives the creamy texture.)
3. cayenne to taste. Remove bay leaves, and ladle beans into bowls over cooked rice.